Last month’s second annual Chris Combs Youth Invitational was a huge success!
We’d like to thank Stephen Wolff and Zack Wiggins, tournament directors and old friends and teammates of Chris Combs, for putting together the incredible event in tribute to former star pitcher #26 for the North Carolina State Wolfpack and Pittsburgh Pirates, Chris Combs. This year’s tournament raised almost $30,000 that will go toward drug discovery efforts at The Project ALS Therapeutics Core at Columbia University (THE CORE), of which Team Chris Combs is a founding sponsor.
Over the five years that Chris battled ALS, he—along with his wife Gena, children Anne Marie, Ava Grace, and Christopher, and their friends—built Team Chris Combs: a passionate, relentless army of thousands of friends and supporters. Team Chris Combs has raised over $4 million for key Project ALS research initiatives. Stephen and Zack aim to continue growing Team Chris Combs and its impact on ALS research for years to come. Again, we thank them for helping us honor Chris’ legacy.
We would also like to thank everyone who participated in the tournament, the volunteers that made it possible, and the community partners for their hospitality:
- Supper Optimist (President, Jeff Skobel) for use of their baseball fields
- Jersey Mike’s (local owners, Joe Christensen & Jason Kesler) for donating sandwiches for concessions, sales of which were donated to event
- Ogden Tap Room (owner, Jeff Deininger) for donating a portion of weekend sales to the event
- Springhill Suites of Wilmington Mayfaire (Director of Sales, Lane Leibrock) for setting up room blocks for out-of-town teams
- Daniel Summers for capturing photos of the event